December 13, 2006

On why I hate the DMV.

So today was the day I was going to nut up and go out to the DMV to get my driver's license. I'd been putting it off for awhile, but it had to be done, and I'd decided today was the day.

I went to their website and made sure I had everything I would need:
-old FL license -- check.
-social security card -- check.
-copy of lease for proof of residency -- check.
-proof of insurance -- check.

Good to go. I got my directions and headed out.

The DMV is located in BFE, so it took a little while to get out there. But I finally arrived, got out, and took my place in line. There were about 6 people in front of me, and I was pretty happy with that.

After waiting about 10-15 minutes, it's my turn to go up to the reception desk. I tell the lady what I need, and she asks me for all my IDs and insurance and residency. I give them all over. No problem. I ask, "I am able to pay with my debit card, right?" Her response: "No. Cash or check only. You can go ahead and take your test today while you're here and come back and pay later." Well, OK -- not sure exactly how that will work, and I really don't want to come back. It didn't say anything about that on the website, but fine. She gives me a number and tells me to have a seat.

I sit and wait. After a few more minutes, my number is called. I proceed to the Station Number One, and sit down. The man says hello, and I try to clarify with him that I didn't bring cash or a checkbook, but the lady at the front said I could still take my test, but he interrupts me mid-sentence, asking me why I moved here from FL.

*deep breath*

I explain why, briefly, and try to ask him again about taking the test and coming back with the money. This time I get no response whatsoever. Ooookay.

He's looking over all my documents, which the lady at the front had paper clipped together. He stares at my insurance card. "I can't take this. It doesn't say when your policy expires."

"What?"

"This insurance card isn't any good to me."

"That's the only card I have. You can see when the policy was set up -- it's a 6-month policy, that's standard."

"I don't know that. You could have purchased the policy for one month for all *I* know."

"Okay," I say, completely disgusted. "Just give me my stuff back and I'll come back some other time."

He continues, "You'll have to have your insurance company fax us this document that shows when your policy expires."

"Just give me my stuff. I will come back."

I left. And there's another hour of my life I'll never get back.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Hate those kinds of things! Last time I went to the DMV it was 4 1/2 hours!!!!!!! And then I look cranky on my license photo for some strange reason! Hope you got it taken care of! (pea Jill_Ilene)