July 12, 2007

A little Ben Folds Five story

Jon and I are sitting around tonight playing our respective games (me: Civ, him: hockey), and Ben Folds Five comes on the iPod player. That got me thinking....

One time, back in college, must have been my sophomore or junior year, I was hanging out with Erika and Jenny maybe? I'm not sure who was there, b/c there was some drinking going on.

Anyway, we were in my dorm room, hanging out and drinking and listening to Ben Folds Five. Ben Folds was from Chapel Hill, where I went to school. I got the bright idea to pull out my phone book and see if his name was listed, which it wasn't.

Then I had the even brighter idea to look up the names of the other two guys in the band. Robert Sledge wasn't listed...but Darren Jessee was.

And then, in what was my brightest idea of all that night, I decided to call him.

Oh yes I did. At about 2 in the morning.

I had no idea what I was going to say if he picked up the phone.

He didn't answer, but his machine did. And I proceeded to leave a long, rambly, slurred message about how much I loved Ben Folds Five and I wasn't a stalker or *anything* like that, along with my phone number.

Needless to say, Darren Jessee never called me back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. You know the funny thing about stalkers is that they always insist they aren't stalkers at all!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I don't think I was there, I wish I had been. That's what he gets for being listed in the phone book.

Andy Martin said...

Hi there I like your blog.My blog is http://ixplain.blogspot.com

Do drop in a msg in my blog to let me know

Anonymous said...

hee hee, oh yes that was me that was there. I remember that. :) I bet he took his name out the next year.
lol