Jon and I were just talking about this the other day. We live in a place where there's not a lot of risk for natural disaster or weather-related drama. Very rarely, there will be a toronado warning/watch, and sometimes we'll get some residual effect from a hurricane that's made landfall. But our winters are mild, we don't get major flooding or mudslides... we're in good shape are far as most stuff like that goes.
2. What kind of weather do you MOST enjoy?
About 70 degrees, clear skies, and a nice breeze. Wonderful.
3. What kind of weather do you LEAST like to drive in?
Ice sucks. I've also been in some torrential downpours where I couldn't even see the road. That wasn't fun either.
4. What is the scariest weather-related experience you've had in your lifetime?
Several years ago, Sara and I went skiing up at Sugar Mountain. The weather became increasingly bad and snowy/sleety as we drove up the mountain, but we got there fine. We skied all day, and got ready to leave sometime in the late afternoon.
If you've ever been to Sugar, the road up to their parking lot is basically right on the side of the mountain, with not much in the way of barriers. So we headed out of the parking lot, following another car (trying to keep a safe distance, 'cause it had really gotten nasty out, and the roads were slicking up).
All of a sudden, the car in front of us started to slide sideways. Sara tried to brake, but then we started to slide sideways too -- directly towards the drop-off down the side of the mountain.
I legitimately was fearing for my life. We were sliding out of control, sideways down the road, with nothing to stop us from falling over the edge but a split-rail fence.
Somehow, someway, the truck stopped short of just crashing through the fence. I don't know how Sara managed it, or maybe it was just a miracle.
It took us over 2 hours to get down the mountain...a drive that normally takes 15-20 minutes, if that.
5. Share a "weather picture" with us!
Sort of weather-y, but one of my favorites:
2 comments:
I will vouch for the scariness of that incident (though I thought we were at Ski Beech?). That was the worst, scariest, closest to death moment of my life. I have since become rather terrified of driving in the snow, when I used to be ok with it (remember going to the Harry Tweeter in the blizzard of 2000 in the Celica???). I still don't know how we made it down that damn mountain. Sheer luck, I suppose.
You're right, it was Ski Beech. I can never remember that for some reason. Maybe I've mentally blocked it.
Post a Comment