So most of the people that read this blog know that Jon and I work at the same place. Before I went out on maternity leave, we both knew that there was going to be a schedule bid coming up. I was planning on coming back part-time, and at the time I went out, it wasn't going to be an issue for me to make that request before I came back and do an adjustment to have my schedule aligned with Jon's so that we didn't have any child care issues.
Well, fast forward 2 months. They have pushed the time frame for the bid back twice, and along with that, they have put a hold on doing any schedule adjustments, including switching anyone to part-time, until January. Additionally, Jon had been told, due to his performance, that he would be able to write his own schedule, which would make it easier for us to have our schedules align...now he's going to have to bid with everyone else, and just get what he gets, which could be any shift, any days.
So we're stuck with almost 3 months of me having to stay full-time, and no child care option for that time frame, and potentially no feasible options after that.
The only reason I know about any of this is b/c Jon has been keeping me informed. If he didn't work there as well, I would just be blindsided with all this when I went back.
I could look for something else, but nothing else around here will come close in pay, and I would likely not have benefits working part-time elsewhere... I would get to keep all my benefits/vacation time, etc.
I'm at a loss. I am going to call and talk to my boss tomorrow, but I doubt they'll make an exception for me.
3 comments:
Girl, that is insanity! I don't see how they can not let you go part-time. Give them hell- that is so not fair for them to change stuff on the fly. Are you sure you don't work for NC Central University?
Thanks, This is one of very few blogs that was worth the read, a great insight, you should be commended for your time and effort.
wow, that really sucks. Sorry to hear about your work issues. Keep us posted and let us know what the outcome is. When are you going back to work???
Post a Comment