January 1, 2009

2009!

Happy 2009!

Jon got to come home early from work, and I taped the hockey game, so we rang in the new year watching the 'Canes beat the Thrashers. We were so wrapped up in the game that we forgot to pause it to watch the ball drop in Times Square. I didn't notice we had missed it till 12:03. Ha.

After that, we played a little Rock Band, and then we decided to watch Cloverfield, which we got in the mail from Netflix today. If you haven't seen the movie, and if you care, you might want to stop reading here.

Jon and I were pretty excited about watching this. We don't tend to watch new releases (and yes, I know this was released almost a year ago...that's still new for us), but we'd heard good things about it, and we like a good scary movie every now and then.

It was freaking awful. Completely disregarding the fact that there's this massive monster that just shows up in the city with no explanation, which is in and of itself a bit...odd, for lack of a better word, there is so much about this movie that doesn't make sense. The lack of gratuitous swearing. The fact that the military people didn't immediately confiscate the video camera. The fact that these 3 kids somehow survived a HELICOPTER CRASH. I could go on.

I think I've just about decided that for the most part, I can't watch new movies like this anymore. I don't have the suspension of disbelief required to enjoy them. Jon and I just sit around and complain the whole time we're watching, and say things like "Why didn't they do THIS?" and "That makes NO sense".

Yeah, you probably don't want to watch movies with us...we're no fun ;)

6 comments:

Sara and Randy said...

I didn't know you guys had Rock Band! Trish got it for Christmas, and it is fun as hell! I like the drums. What system do you have it on?

Kelly said...

We have it for the 360...but we don't have the whole set yet. We had Guitar Hero first, and we just use the 2 guitars from that to play it. No mic or drums yet...but they're coming! I played the drums at Best Buy one time (yes, I am a dork), and they were so fun!

Anonymous said...

I want to play! All I have is an old school Atari.

Adman said...

Rock Band, well... rocks. Great fun with a room full of socially-lubricated people. Definitely get drums and mic.

I've heard nothing but good things about Cloverfield, but haven't seen it yet. Interesting take.

Covered In Crafts said...

We complan at movies too! LOL

glitzen said...

my dh is NO fun, he picks the movies apart. Unless its a western, then he goes on and on about how well its done. Eye roll!